A portable, hand-held scanning translator that can scan a word or a full line of text and provide immediate word-by-word translation, including idioms and phrases. Also provides audio pronunciation of individual words or full lines of text in selected languages.
The Quicktionary® is an ideal tool for anyone in need of multilingual support such as students, travelers, researchers and business people.
The Quicktionary® is fully customizable and additional content can be added by purchasing a Wizcard
- Stay focused on your reading while the Quicktionary® helps you interpret your text quickly and easily.
- Save all the time you would have spent searching through a paper dictionary or typing into an electronic dictionary.
- Expand your vocabulary using any one of the many supported dictionaries.
- Take the Quicktionary® anywhere you go. This small, portable, handheld device is designed to fit in your pocket.
Professional Dictionaries - additional special features:
- Provide definitions of over 700,000 words from professional fields such as medicine, finance, economics, computers and internet, science, and geography from the prestigious Houghton Mifflin collection of dictionaries, including::
- The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
- The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
- Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
- The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary
- The Houghton Mifflin Dictionary of Geography
- The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms
- Computer and Internet Dictionary
- The American Heritage® Abbreviations Dictionary
- Wall Street Words - Finance and Economics
- Cross-reference function enables users to translate a word from within the English definition into another language (if another dictionary with English as the source language, such as English to German or English to Swedish, is installed on the Pen).
Quicktionary® containing Japanese to Japanese/ English– additional special features:
- World's first Japanese OCR and Japanese dictionary combination in a portable platform
- Japanese OCR for Japanese to Japanese and Japanese to English
- Dictionary databases from the popular Sanseido Daily Concise dictionary series
- Unique algorithm to manage Japanese OCR problems arising from the combination of three characters sets (Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji)
- Horizontal and vertical modes for Japanese scanning
- Provides two search modes: Skip Hiragana strings unless used as suffix for Kanji string
- Searches all characters sets for corresponding entries in the database
An interesting article about Japanese translation using the Quicktionary can be found here.
Quicktionary® containing Chinese Simplified to English – additional special features:
- Chinese Simplified OCR
- Unique algorithm to divide Chinese Simplified strings into the corresponding word segments
Quicktionary® containing German to English/French/Spanish dictionaries– additional special features:
- Sophisticated algorithm that identifies the two elements of a split verb in any scanned sentence.
- Unique algorithm that divides compound words into their corresponding dictionary entries.
- German spelling support including the 2005 spelling reform.
- Ability to add German text-to-speech functionality.
Comprehensive translation that extends beyond the simple, most frequently used meaning of the word.
Direct look-up of idioms/phrases.
Identification of inflected words and the display of their corresponding entries.
Recognition of over 300,000 words and expressions per dictionary.
Multiple preloaded dictionaries (dictionary combination differs depending on product purchased)
History option enabling review of the last 80 looked up words.
Audio word pronunciation with text-to-speech (TTS) technology using built-in speaker or earphones.
Recognition of a wide range of printed font types and sizes (6-22 points - up to 8mm), including inverted text on contrasting backgrounds (except red on white, white on red, blue on black and black on blue).
Recognition and automatic merging of hyphenated text.
Two display modes: Toggle between abridged and complete definition/translation display.
Easy to use buttons and straightforward menus.
Manual insertion of words using the Opticard or the Character Bar.
Right/left handed support.
Auto shut-off feature to preserve battery life.
Supports various user-interface languages.
CPU: ARM 7 TDMI
RAM: 128KB + 64KB
ROM: 4MB minimum (depending on product)
Socket for flash memory cards: 4MB/8MB/16MB
Keypad: Push Buttons - Power/ESC/ENT/Up/Down/Left/Right
Optical Scanner: 128 pixels linear array image sensor, 400 DPI resolution
Communications: USB (models with communication)
Display Information: Resolution: 120 x 32 pixels, Size: 61mm x 20mm / 2.4" x 0.8"
Power: 2 x 1.5V AAA Alkaline batteries
Size (L x W x H): 6.4" x 1.5" x 1" (163 x 38 x 23 mm) with cover
Weight: 3 oz. (90 grams) (not including batteries and/or flash memory card)
Audio: Built-in speaker, earphone socket (available with most products).
Safety: CE, RoHS, UL, FCC class B
Operating Temperature Range: 0°C - 40°C